Trinity Church was organized as a parish in 1874 upon the approval of the Bishop of Illinois. The first building was completed in 1877, only to be destroyed by fire in 1899. Just two years later, however, the core of the present building had risen in its place.
The Parish Hall was built in 1912. The bell tower, the entryway and enlarged worship space date to 1957 and complete the building as we see it today. An exceptional three-manual, 47 rank Aeolian-Skinner organ was also installed in the 1957 remodeling.
Over the years, Trinity Church established three churches in the area: St. Elisabeth's in Glencoe (1896), Church of the Holy Spirit in Lake Forest (1898), and St. Gregory's in Deerfield (1950.)
Trinity’s more recent history is reflected in our exceptional rectors over the past 45 years. In 1969 the Rev. Douglas M. Spence became our rector and served the parish faithfully for 24 years until his retirement. He shared his passion for social justice and other causes with the congregation, challenging Trinity to engage the wider world. It is during his tenure that Trinity helped establish Tri-Con Child Care Center (1971), a low-income daycare center that Trinity continues to house rent-free.The Rt. Rev. Terry A. White served as our rector from 1995 to 2004. Fr. White, now the Bishop of Kentucky, leftTrinity to serve as Dean of the Cathedral in the Diocese of West Missouri until being consecrated bishopin 2010. Under his guidance, all aspects of Trinity’s liturgy and music were greatly enhanced.
The Rev. Andrea Mysen became Trinity’s rector in 2005 and remained with us until 2014, when she was called as Associate for Ministries for the Diocese of Chicago. Under her direction Trinity became a spiritual home for a more diverse community, helping Trinity to more fully embrace God’s children.
Trinity is excited to begin our next chapter with a rector who will help us to grow upon the gifts of our past and challenge us to embrace future possibilities.
Trinity church is located in the heart of Highland Park. The campus includes a beautiful English Gothic church building constructed of brick in 1901 and greatly enlarged in 1957, seating 350. Various other additions enhanced the building over the years including: a fellowship hall (1920s), classrooms, office space, a formal parlor know as the Guild Room, a chapel (all 1930s) with columbarium (1980s). Throughout this period generous memorials allowed for the addition of many artistic, finely crafted stained glass windows. Trinity also owns a rectory, built in 1915, situated immediately to the east of the other buildings, with a two-car detached garage.
Trinity church is in the Diocese of Chicago, which has been led by Bishop Jeffrey Lee since 2008. The Diocese consists of 127 congregations in 21counties in northern and north central Illinois. The Diocese has three simple goals: Grow the church, Form the Faithful, and Change the World. Toward these ends, Bishop Lee has been particularly focused on congregational vitality and leadership. Trinity church has supported the Diocese and its goals through significant, annual Diocesan pledging.
Who We Are >